Getting the Model A-8 on the market represents one of the largest investments in time and money that Checker Motors ever made in its 60 year history of taxi manufacture.
The project, started in December 1954, resulted in a clay model by the following September. The factory was shut down for all of 1955 to allow retooling for this new model. Production started in January 1956.
The A8 had a 120” wheelbase, independent front suspension, power steering and brakes and removable fenders. The modern design delivered 30% more interior space than its A-6 predecessor.
In 1957 the Model A8A is introduced and has an American Motors engine. Only 25 are made.
In 1958, Checker Cab Manufacturing Company changes its name to Checker Motors Corp.